Sunday, January 4, 2015

WoW Weekly: Someone Says [Farewell to the Molten Core]

WoW Weekly is a biweekly-ish, self-absorbed look into the things I've been doing -- or not doing -- in the game. From auctioneering and pet battling to mount farming and raiding.

To many players, the Molten Core for a long time was a thing of the past, or nothing at all. I'm told players who never experienced the content while it was current won't ever be able to appreciate its full glory and terror. I timidly agree, though I can count my Vanilla MC runs on one hand, and even then I was there as a warm body.

Patch 5.1 brought brief renewed interest to the Core with the introduction of battle pets that drop from bosses in certain legacy content. Pet battle enthusiasts and general collectors once again had a reason to visit ol' MC for a chance at three different pets. Of the twelve total pets added to legacy raids in 5.1, these were the most accessible as Molten Core was the easiest to solo.

Then, the 10th anniversary celebration was announced, and we learned Molten Core would once again be shoved into the spotlight. However, this time the Molten Core experience would be more akin to the one in Vanilla: a 40-player max-level raid. When MC 100 opened, my main character didn't quite have the requisite ilvl to enter, so my first impressions came through the experience of others. And that experience seemed absolutely maddening.

Full clears were taking anywhere between four and eight hours. Groups were wiping regularly. No one remembered/heeded/feared the Corehounds as they properly should. Needless to say, my initial excitement was tempered. So when I finally queued for Molten Core, I was elated to zone into an in-progress raid: three bosses remained before Ragnaros. When it was all said and done approximately two hours later, I knew it was the last time I'd see level 100 Molten Core.

But not quite the final time I'd see Molten Core.

See, there is also a marginal group of players for whom Molten Core has been a weekly source of anguish and frustration. That group of players seeks the Bindings of the Windseeker week after week, the left and right halves necessary to craft an item used to summon Thunderaan, who drops the fabled Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker.

So while fading memories of Molten Core 100 no longer plagued the nightmares of those who'd gone before, I continued on my quest with both my death knight and my rogue, each possessing the right half. Earlier this week, my rogue saw his quest complete, and the [Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker] Feat of Strength flashed across my screen.

So this is farewell, Molten Core. It's been emotional.

Now that I can scratch that legendary off the weekly list, there are these other things:


  • I have garrisons set up complete with profession buildings and Level 2 Mines on three alts who are all between level 92 and 95, and two more alts chilling in their garrisons at 90 just for the passive Garrison Resource generation. My characters do not wont. 
  • At approximately 521 ilvl, my rogue is able to solo the Dragon Soul 10 N and is over the halfway point in gem collection. Looking to gear him up a little more to ensure Dragon Soul 25 is viable, meaning more gems per visit. 
  • Ulduar and Firelands 25 are easily soloable with my main character who sits around 550 ilvl. Currently after the legendary mace and staff, respectively. 
  • Occasional Warbringer farming is still happening, as there's one mount I'd like to get my hands on. However, with many folks completing their journey to 100 on their first character, competition is heating up, and I'm rarely ever alone now when farming. 


No comments:

Post a Comment