Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Pumpkin Cookie Recipe

I'm opting for something a bit different this morning. I look outside into the snow-filled, bitterly cold world and think things that I won't write down here because I generally like to keep this area PG-rated. Then I look at my desk and see the pumpkin cookie recipe my better half sent to work with me, the one my co-workers have been asking for since I brought in a batch last month. Snow makes me sad, pumpkin cookies make me happy. Maybe you're not dealing with snow this morning, but perhaps something else unpleasant. If that's the case, bake these. You'll feel better, trust me.

Pumpkin Cookies – 2 Dozen


Note: access to an electric mixture helps, but isn't necessary

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

2-3/4 cups Flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1-1/4 tsp salt
1-1/2 tsp cinnamon
1-1/4 tsp ginger
¾ tsp nutmeg
Whisk all of the above; set aside

¾ cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter – softened
2-1/4 cups brown sugar  (packed)
2 large eggs
1-1/2 cups (15 oz can) pumpkin
1 tsp vanilla

Mix BUTTER and SUGAR in bowl until fluffy, generally 3-5 minutes. Add EGGS, PUMPKIN and VANILLA – mix on low speed for two minutes (or mix gently if no electric mixer). Add this to FLOUR MIXTURE from above, mix until combined. Spoon onto cookie sheets---no greasing necessary---spacing roughly 1” apart. Bake about 12 minutes or until the tops of the cookies spring back. Cool completely before frosting.

If you've done it right, these will have a consistency less like cookies and more like cake: soft, fluffy and moist; not hard, dry and crumbly.

Frosting

NOTE: This makes A LOT of frosting; can be halved for a batch of 2 dozen cookies, unless you prefer a generous amount of frosting on each cookie.

1-1/4 sticks of butter
4 cups powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla
Splash of milk or heavy cream

Melt BUTTER in a small saucepan over medium heat until brown (3-5 minutes). Combine BUTTER, POWDERED SUGAR, VANILLA and MILK/CREAM; mix until smooth. Can add more MILK/CREAM to reach desired consistency. Apply to cookies once cookies have cooled.



No comments:

Post a Comment