Wednesday, October 22, 2014

WoW Weekly: Looking Back on MoP - Guild Edition

Not embarrassed enough about those ugly boots to retake a screenshot.




WoW Weekly is a biweekly-ish, self-absorbed look into the things I've been doing -- or not doing -- in the game. From auctioneering and pet battling to mount farming and raiding.

Hallow's End is probably my favorite holiday event, but I haven't bothered much with it over the last several years. I completed What a Long, Strange Trip in spring of 2009, with the Headless Horseman's Reins the only item from Hallow's End that remained elusive...that is, up until it dropped almost exactly one year ago to the day.

I was pleased to learn that this year's Hallow's End received some love from the devs! While the Lich King's costume set definitely caught my eye, the real prizes in my mind are the two new battle pets, Cursed Birman and Widget, requiring a total of 300 Tricky Treats. Should be an easy enough objective given the variety of avenues to obtain treats.

To state the obvious, the expansion is winding down. Many of my guildies are working on alts or finishing up the cloak chain for the first/fourth/nth time, having exhausted patch 6.0.2 content fairly quickly. Overall, the last year or so of Mists of Pandaria was a really good year for the guild. The raid team I'd been building for the better part of summer '13 started to gain traction just before Siege of Orgrimmar was released; right around that time was when the raid merged into a guild.

We blew through Flex and cleared Normal shortly thereafter, placing Garrosh on farm status so as to help as many guildies as possible earn their Feat of Strength. We dipped our toes in the old-Heroic modes, claiming kills on Immerseus, Protectors, and Norushen before deciding to return to Flex which would allow more guildies to participate. We continued to raid throughout the summer, and will continue this up until Warlords releases. We capped off the current content with our first 25-player Garrosh kill the week before 6.0.2. The sweet part about that is almost 10 players earned their achievement that night.

Our members have the Thundering Serpent Hatchling (assuming they remembered to purchase it prior to the patch---we reminded them), many have the Reins of Galakras, and we're sitting in a pretty good spot in terms of guild activity, both current and what we're projecting for Warlords.

It's been a really good expansion overall, and this is greatly due to the people I find myself playing alongside.

With all of the changes afoot, and loads of new content on the horizon, it's time to refocus the WoW Weekly list to reflect current times. Other than earning 300 Tricky Treats, here are some other activities I've got my eye on:

  • Thunderfury remains elusive, specifically the binding from Garr. While I'd originally visited Molten Core weekly with just my death knight, the fruitless runs pushed me to throw the rogue into the mix for slightly higher odds. And since I posted this late, I can say not this week.
  • I'm one Warbringer mount shy of having the complete set. The goal is to acquire the last before Warlords. 
  • Not playing my warlock. Only pointing that out because I completed her legendary cape on Sunday. I had a lot of fun relearning how to play the warlock, with much credit due to the green fire line (Feat of Strength FTW!). I'd even briefly considered making her my main in Warlords,which was really the primary reason I went after the cloak (the fourth of my characters to earn it). 
  • With the introduction of 6.0.2, soloing got considerably easier. I've added the Lich King 25-H and Yogg Saron 25 to the kill list. Though the terrible odds at claiming a mount of either of these bosses likely means I won't run this weekly, it's good to now have the option without first having to grab a handful of friends. 
  • Planning for Blizzcon!


No comments:

Post a Comment