Friday, March 7, 2014

WoW Weekly: Can you smell that?

Thou hath smelled it; thus, thou hath dealt it.


WoW Weekly is a biweekly-ish, self-absorbed look into the things I've been doing -- or not doing -- in the game. From auctioneering and pet battling to mount farming and raiding.

If you've been paying any attention to your Real ID list these past couple of weeks, you've probably noticed that many more of your friends are filling their playtime with the seemingly resurrected Diablo 3 and the 2.0.1 Reaper of Souls pre-patch. If we're connected, I am one of those friends. After the game first launched, and after leveling my Barbarian to 60, I became quite disenchanted, all-too-happy to rail against the flawed loot system, impossible elite packs and the utter defeat I felt after playing for three hours only to reluctantly head to the auction house to find the upgrades I needed.

Remember that systems patch that was supposed to alleviate some of those issues? No, not this most recent one, I'm talking the 1.0.4 systems patch that dropped last summer. Thank the heavens Blizzard realized they hadn't gone nearly far enough, and now we've literally been given the 2.0 version of that update. And what an update it is. The change in difficulty levels, allowing a player to toggle them at will without penalty, the more interested elite mobs, and the refined Paragon system are all great reasons to revisit the game especially if you are one of those people who was utterly turned off after your first play-through.

Really, the most important thing I've witnessed is the change in how loot drops work. Literally everything that drops can be used by either yourself or your follower; if you're in a group you also have the chance to receive items particular to that person's class, but more often than not a Barbarian is going to see strength on each and every shiny. And the best thing I've seen so far?

Fart pants.

The level 60 version dropped for my Barb.
While not the technical term, these puppies are absolutely beautiful in form and function. Show me a person who hasn't cleared a room via flatulence at least once in their lives and I'll show you a liar. 

Outside of spending too many late nights in Sanctuary, often in the company of WoW guildies, I've been:

  • PvPing with guildies quite a bit. Normally I'm averse to those types of activities, but that's mainly because I'd forgotten how much fun it can be when you're playing with friends.
  • Checking near-daily for Know Your Role. If I have one goal left for this expansion, it's completing that achievement. 
  • Landing employment. After eight months and more than 100 resumes, I've really lucked out by finding a position I'll actually enjoy. Now to get the boss to stop calling me by the wrong name.
  • Reminding people that our guild on Emerald Dream is ever recruiting!



3 comments:

  1. I must admit I've noticed more and more of my btag friends logging in Diablo over wow lately. I have to admit I haven't been over that way myself in a while, maybe it's time I went to see what it's like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I forgot to add, Grats on the Job :) I'm in the middle of job hunting as my degree finishes in a few weeks, it's very daunting! Good luck on getting the right name out of your boss :)

      I have a hunter alt on your realm, I'll have to see if I can find you to say hi one day :)

      Delete
    2. Yeah, check it out---nice improvements and it's something different to do. Grats on completing your degree, and good luck on finding a job! Definitely look me up next time you're on ED. :)

      Delete