Thursday, December 26, 2013

WoW Weekly: Garrosh down

WoW Weekly is a biweekly-ish, self-absorbed look into the things I've been doing -- or not doing -- in the game. From auctioneering and pet battling to mount farming and raiding.

Defeating Garrosh is kind of a big deal for us.

What started as a 1-night raid group in the early part of summer blossomed into a guild before summer's end, and that guild's raid group has just sent Garrosh Hellscream off to trial. It was the 13th time we'd stepped foot into SoO since its release and only the second time we'd seen Garrosh. I know because I have the attendance spreadsheet. I'm thrilled. When I set out to form this group, I wasn't sure I'd be able to find enough players to fill a 10p roster for a 1-night per week raid, let alone make it through this tier.

Our casual raid group evolved into a guild because we actually like each other and what we're doing. Limited recruiting proved to triple our size with players who signed up for what we're offering: a friendly, laid back guild, a refuge from so much of the negativity that plagues online gaming, offering a casual raid experience that, thanks to flex, can include everyone.

If I can say anything about guild recruitment, it's this: have something unique you can toss out there for everyone to see, and stay true to whatever that is. For us, we've been straight about our casual-yet-serious 1-night raid and our extremely low tolerance for douchebaggery. That's really the most succinct I can be, check out our recruitment thread if you want the long version. If I can say anything about flexible raid tech: it's perhaps one of the best things to happen to the game since LFG (note I do not mean LFR, but rather the 5p version of the group-making feature). I can't wait to shed "flex" as a difficulty, as a lot of people see it as Raiding Lite. With the changes coming in WoD, hardcore guilds get to be hardcore while the rest of us plan out how we're going to tackle normal and possibly heroic modes.

Anyway, beyond the weekly Tempest Keep runs with my eligible toons, I've decided to chase after the ICC, Ulduar and Dragon Soul legendary weapons. Note: Dragon Soul is not soloable by the average player as of right now. Other than that:

  • I think I may have found a new series in Completionist Leanings: basically, tips and tricks on how to wrap up tricky things like achievements, cool weapons, pets, etc. The first one deals with an achievement that most people won't be able to complete until they learn about the bug that plagues the quest turn-ins associated with the achievement.
  • On the first day of Winter Veil I ran the "Your'e a Mean One..." quest on each of my 90s, which turned out to be quite time-consuming. After that, I decided I'd just run it with the main moving forward. I landed a Rotten Helper a couple of days ago and ceased the daily quest altogether, assuming that I'd find several Rotten Helpers under the tree between the 18+ toons who were high enough level to open the present that held the pets. I was surprised to not find even one! I'm now refocusing on the daily to hopefully nab a couple of extra pets to give away to friends who weren't lucky enough to land one.
  • On the achievement pane in the Quests>Pandaria section, there are six achievements I've yet to finish. I've set a goal to finish all of the Pandaria-related quest achievements before WoD simply because it's not something I've focused on in the past and oftentimes will choose to revisit old content to complete whatever I'm missing.
  • I've been running Zul Gurub more frequently. So close to Mount Parade.


No comments:

Post a Comment