Monday, September 9, 2013

WoW Insider Community Blog Topic: Would you play on an expansion-specific server?


My god, yes.

Though it'd most likely be a novelty, I'd still welcome it. It might even be a clever way to give the game some additional life if/when WoW goes free-to-play, or after Blizzard releases the final expansion.

See, I was literally and happily a noob for all of Vanilla and the vast majority of the Burning Crusade. WoW introduced to me two very large and previously unknown concepts: MMO & RPG. Turns out I had played a couple of games on consoles that could be considered RPGs, but I didn't think of them that way. Nope. I spent 30 minutes in Azeroth one afternoon and was astounded. My prior experience didn't leave room in my brain to properly understand everything I was seeing on the screen, and what the game entailed. The vastness of the world, the game play, the variety---it was enough to keep me distracted for a very, very long time. Long enough to not fully understand what end-game raiding was all about until two expansions later.

Aside from seeing the raids when level-appropriate, I'm sure I glossed over all lot of lore, some of which is now lost with the events of the Cataclysm and Mists of Pandaria. I wouldn't mind at all having the option to revisit the "old content" as it was. Can I imagine a server where the max level player was 60, while the Burning Crusade hadn't yet happened? I sure can. I could see having a 60 and a 70 to revisit the raid content from time to time. Though I don't think it'd become a main focus in terms of my play, it's a feature I would absolutely love to have.

link: WoW Insider Post



1 comment: