Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Can I Just Say I'm Stoked for Legion?


Cause I'm gonna whether you think I should or not.

I'm stoked for Legion.

I had to look back to see if I'd noted any sort of excitement during the lead-up to Warlords of Draenor. I'm sure it was there, but this seems entirely different, more palpable. Yes, we're hearing the same old lines about how this will be the "best" and most "content-intensive" expansion we've had to date, but this time around not only do I want to believe them, I feel I should believe them.

But in all honesty, aside from maybe patch 6.2, I don't care if the cycle looks like Warlords. Given Blizzard is promising much more than that is encouraging, but for now I'm cool with surveying the landscape around me own my own time: demons invading, factional losses, political upheaval---some real story.

The environment just feels like Warcraft again, and it's been perfectly exemplified by demon invasions. If I wasn't in a guild, the isolation of the garrison and the convenience of the self-service ready-to-raid tools might have left me feeling like I was the only real live person playing. And that's perhaps why I reacted in mild surprise when, while waiting on a boat to get to Undercity the other day, a player asked, "Hey, can someone with a dual mount fly me to the invasion point?"

I looked at the white text above their head with mild curiosity, then realized, "Oh shit! A real, organic quest!" Then I noticed the other dozen-and-a-half players waiting on the boat as well (who all were incidentally doing their best NPC impressions and not acknowledging this player). The game felt alive! I quickly mounted my rocket and sidled over to the player. Later that day, I found 100g in my mailbox. There was no note, and I don't remember the character's name, but I don't care. I'm saying that came from them.

Granted, Legion isn't quite out yet, so it might be premature to ask how Legion's treating you. But really, based on what you've seen, what do you think so far?

I can't wait to see the final product on Tuesday.

3 comments:

  1. I've not really been in the game that long - since just before Cata and i spent the start of that leveling my first toon.

    I feel now like I did on maybe day 4 or 5 when I started to get the hang of things and bumped into a higher level player wanting a bit of help with a mob, and then spent an hour helping me level before giving me 20g (which was a huge amount compared with what i had at that point.)

    I've enjoyed Cata, Mop & WoD (despite its faults) - but nothing like the feeling I get now.

    Legion has to be good as if it lets me/us down now...

    But it won't. It just won't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm standing right along side you with that hope. I'm really, really hoping Legion continues to deliver the experiences and feelings I've had during this lead up.

      Thankfully, we find out soon!

      Delete