Friday, March 29, 2013

Chasing the Gold Cap Update #5: Thanks but...why?

Found this in my mailbox earlier today.

It's been one of those weeks.

While managing not to send small sums of gold to random players, I've been maintaining a steady profit. In fact, this is probably one of the largest sums I've made over a two week period. It's surely the largest I've posted since I started keeping track for this Chasing the Gold Cap exercise.

Gold amount at last update: 716,084g
Auctioning activity between then and now: high
Current gold amount: 805,255g
+/- Change: 89,171g

There's been a resurgence in glyph sales. I've done well over 10k during these last two weeks, and that's mostly just by posting and leaving them to expire; I rarely scan the AH for undercut glyphs to cancel and repost like I do with gems. Whatever the reason for rise in demand, it's been a nice complement to the killing I've been making with jewelcrafting.

I have been pretty aggressive in the gem market, but I've also acquired some new competition. Normally no big deal, but the issue here is that he's a Real ID friend. Meaning we both get to see when the other logs on, presumably to post auctions. Up to this point, I hadn't decided whether this is a good or bad thing. It's a good thing. He's on his JC as I write this sentence, most definitely undercutting the auctions I posted earlier this morning. So as soon as he logs off of that toon, I'll cancel my auctions and undercut him. As a child of the Aughts might say, it's a Doggy Dogg world.

And there he goes.

Some notes, in no particular order:
  • I'm not counting on seeing the 25k+ Vial of the Sands loan money. If I were being less strict about this exercise I'd simply pile it onto the final sum and mark it as an asset. But I chose to loan the gold fully aware of my gold cap chase deadline, which means I assume all risks. Including untimely/no repayment. 
  • In recalling the last update, I remarked how the glyph market was doing surprisingly well, meaning it's been strong for about a month now.
  • The transmog market has been quiet. I'm still occasionally buying up pieces on the cheap.

I need to have weeks like these past two. That happens and the cap is definitely in reach by the end of April. And I think I've figured out what I'm going to do with part of my profits: give them away. Perhaps randomly, perhaps in response to acts of kindness I witness...haven't decided the method, just the madness.

Read the first post
Read Update #1
Read Update #2
Read Update #3
Read Update #4

2 comments:

  1. I've noticed the same with glyph sales. I know for me at least in part it correlates strongly with open transfers from Tich to the server where I do my auction stuff(lol). Maybe a minor Glyphmas with tri-spec rumors in the air? I'm not sure whether it's a better move to hoard inks for now for a payout later or capitalize on an unsubstantial rumor that may not come to pass. Meh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hadn't even considered how a tri-spec option would affect that market...that's a really good point to raise. If that comes to fruition, I'd definitely expect an increased demand for gems/glyphs for quite a while, actually. Nice!

    ReplyDelete