Thursday, January 16, 2014

Spending the Gold Cap #8: End is nigh?

What else to do once you hit gold cap, other than spend your fortune? In the Spending the Gold Cap series, I account for the money I earned as I spend it on Unclaimed Black Market Containers, and the occasional pet or mount from the auction house. There will be tears.

Ahhh. It's been a good run. Look at me, already talking in the past tense. 

With gold reserves dwindling down to the half-million mark, my thoughts are increasingly turning to how else I might be rid of the sum. All while keeping in mind that the character who holds the gold is stranded on a dead server. I hadn't realized it had been so long, but I haven't actually won a container since November---though somehow I've managed to spend over 70,000g since the last update a few weeks ago. Yikes. I've got some accounting to do. 

Granted, the urgency with which I've monitored the BMAH---even on days where an Unclaimed Container has been posted---has lessened significantly since that time. Plus, given the unfortunate but expected loss taken on nearly every single Unclaimed Container won, I'm not sure I want to chance the second half of the gold cap on more PvP armor I can't even wear. 

Finally, the dead server my banker is stranded won't be dead much longer: it is scheduled to be connected to three or four other realms in the near future, which I have to imagine will only increase the amount of competition I experience when vying for Unclaimed Containers. Like I mentioned earlier, for the second time in a row I have no Containers to report on, yet a hefty sum of gold has been spent: 

618,543g
- 50,000g¹
-10,000g²
-3,973g³
-11,156g†
Total Remaining Gold: 543,414g

                                                     
¹ Went against my own words (again) and transferred a character to my main server, sending gold with him in the process.
²Donated this amount to gold-maker and Twitter friend WoW Profitz for a giveaway promotion he is running.
³My SO has reached 90 on her seldom-played toon, so in addition to Pandaria flight, I financed the gems and enchants on her Timeless gear.
Incurring eternal damnation from pet-collecting purists, I used Warcraftpets.com to identify missing, tradeable pets and have been scanning the auction house, buying up those at prices befitting of my frugal sensibilities.


The annotations speak for themselves, methinks. While I won't yet say I'm done purchasing Unclaimed Containers, I haven't had great luck as of late and I'm itching for a change. Time invested has not been worth it, and I suspect that relationship will only worsen once realms are connected and the Black Market Auction House has a greater pool of potential buyers.

Til next time, may your bonus rolls include extra gold!


No comments:

Post a Comment