Tuesday, October 29, 2013

WoW Weekly: Preparing for Blizzcon!

I spy: Blizzcon 2011 Official Program, contact cards, portable phone charger, wall adapter for iPhone charger, Sharpie, MoP art book, sunglasses, Kindle and charger. Yes, I will be bringing more than just these items.
WoW Weekly is a biweekly-ish, self-absorbed look into the things I've been doing -- or not doing -- in the game. From auctioneering and pet battling to mount farming and raiding.

I don't know how to start this off other than saying that the thought of being in Anaheim a week from tomorrow has me nervous with excitement. Like 2011, Blizzcon's approach was subtle. There's the initial euphoria that goes along with being fortunate enough to score tickets, but that wears off. Because right behind that euphoria there's the reality of a six-month wait. But then the six months turns to three months. Then 45 days. Then thirty. Then seven. And the closer it looms, the greater the anticipation rises. As I write this, it's kind of like it's finally hitting me: I'm going to Blizzcon!

Naturally, I'm excited to see what's happening next in the Warcraft story. I'm also eager to see what sorts of systems changes might be in store, some of which we've heard about earlier in the week. I'm going to make a point to be up early and at the con on Saturday in time to get a good seat at the panel stage so I can hear Critical Hit play songs from the Blizzard universe. Other than that, I'm going to just wing it. Lastly, I'm stoked to meet people who I've only interacted with remotely -- that's actually what I'm looking forward to most this year.

One interesting development in the lead-up to Blizzcon are the nightmares about the event. Not in the traditional sense, but the true sense in that I feel terror in them. I think it all has to do with the fact that in 2011 while on the way to grab my badge, I realized I'd lost my ID. Perhaps the lingering anxiety from that whole thing is creeping into my unconscious. In the first dream, I missed my flight. That was a big deal. In the second one, I was already in Anaheim out in front of the convention center when I realized that I didn't have my barcode printout. Never bothered to print it out. For a half-second in-dream, I panicked. Then, I scolded my unimaginative mind: Stupid brain. There's a computer lounge in every hotel for miles. You'll have to do better than that. 

Ok. Now to finish up with some random things:

  • I think it's pretty cool that attendees are given a virtual ticket this year. In 2011, we had to make a couple of not-so-difficult choices between one event or another; still, we had to make a choice. With the virtual ticket we'll be able to watch everything we missed. Not only that, but we'll have the option to re-watch what we saw firsthand.  
  • The guild is continuing to grow (we're still recruiting!) and it's been a lot of fun. Our Flex group is now 8/14 and has grown to average around fifteen players. We seem to be taking on a new player or two each week. This Thursday, in honor of Halloween, we're hosting a naked raid with cash prizes for those who are around. 
  • Oh...and the Horseman's Reins finally dropped for me! It's been a long time coming.
  • I've logged a hell of a lot of /played time these last couple of week, though most of it I've been AFK with the sound turned up, hovering over a Loque'nahak spawn point. I've been casually after him since WotLK for the Frostbitten achievement, and with my list of wanted mounts dwindling, I've set my sights on her.



No comments:

Post a Comment